A & A art and architecture spacer courtauld institute of art spacer
login
quick search advanced search browse temp folder
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Courtauld Insights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A&A Editor
A&A Editor
A&A Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Discuss.
adam kean
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: the monkey in art Reply with quote

I note that one of the most famous images in the work of the estimable graffiti artist known as BANKSY (who had a sell out show just before Xmas), depicts a monkey wearing a sandwich board bearing the words: YOU MAY LAUGH, BUT ONE DAY WE"LL RULE THE WORLD.
Wynn Wheldon
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: if monkeys ruled the world Reply with quote

the estimable kean has demonstrated that the pathetic fallacy is alive and kicking (well, going "ooh, ooh, ooh" and scratching itself under the armpits at any rate). I cannot remember whether ruskin thought the PF a good thing or a bad thing, or whether he was merely observing a trait of victorian sentimentality. I daresay the great man would have found banksy's art less than sublime, and perhaps no less sentimental than some of that victorian mush; we are, after all, awash with sentiment to a degree verging on the dzhugashvili-schicklegruberian...
adam kean
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: monkeys with pathetic fallacies Reply with quote

Well, yes - you say pathetic fallacy, others might say anthropomorphism (the pigeons outside my window might say it, for example).
Banksy, on the other hand, might say prophecy. Ruskin, alas, can say nothing. He is no longer with us.
If memory serves, I remember a number of Victorain paintings where characters have monkeys on their backs. There was quite a vogue for it, I think. Or am I thinking of an illustration from a Wilkie Collins book? Or Melville?
Wynn Wheldon
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: the monkey dances Reply with quote

I think you may be thinking of the cover of the basement tapes. the monkey features regularly in mr dylan's works, viz. "Well, it's always been my nature to take chances / My right hand drawing back while my left hand advances / Where the current is strong and the monkey dances / To the tune of a concertina". an interesting mix of metaphors I'm sure all readers will agree. as for the monkey in art - or 'der afe in kunst' as wegermanophiles like to put it - let us look into a&a and see what we can find. go to sets to find MONKEY!!!
adam kean
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: monkeys in my inbox Reply with quote

Thankyou Mr. Whaldoon - you were kind enough to do my job for me vis a vis monkey sets. I particularly like the monkey strangling the young savage. (Just the sort metaphorical depiction of evil I was talking about.) Though I worry that sharing this sort of thing over the net can be dangerous in this day and age. You refer to Mr Dylan. May I in turn refer you to Mr Townsend and his troubles in this area.
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philosopher David Novitz has argued that disagreement about the definition of art are rarely the heart of the problem. Rather, "the passionate concerns and interests that humans vest in their social life" are "so much a part of all classificatory disputes about art"

www.real-sexdatingireland.com
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, pickled sheep and soiled beds threaten to make barbarians of us all" they are not advancing a definition or theory about art, but questioning the value of Hirst's and Emin's work

www.realadultdating.co.uk
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1998, Arthur Danto, suggested a thought experiment showing that "the status of an artifact as work of art results from the ideas a culture applies to it, rather than its inherent physical or perceptible qualities.

www.real-sexdates.com
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assumption of new values or the rebellion against accepted notions of what is aesthetically superior need not occur concurrently with a complete abandonment of the pursuit of what is aesthetically appealing. Indeed, the reverse is often true, that the revision of what is popularly conceived of as being aesthetically appealing allows for a re-invigoration of aesthetic sensibility, and a new appreciation for the standards of art itself.

www.real-sexdates.co.uk
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco Goya's painting depicting the Spanish shootings of 3rd of May 1808 is a graphic depiction of a firing squad executing several pleading civilians. Yet at the same time, the horrific imagery demonstrates Goya's keen artistic ability in composition and execution and produces fitting social and political outrage. Thus, the debate continues as to what mode of aesthetic satisfaction, if any, is required to define 'art'.

www.real-datingaustralia.com
William Hortes
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making judgments of value requires a basis for criticism. At the simplest level, a way to determine whether the impact of the object on the senses meets the criteria to be considered art is whether it is perceived to be attractive or repulsive.

www.real-southafricasex.com
stella ly
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: discount top quality Assassins Creed Cosplay Costumes Reply with quote

Preliminary reviews also mentioned that Eileen Fassbender shall be enjoying the part of killer Aguilar de Agarorobo and he will be experiencing primary bad guy Tomas de Torquemada in the film.Ubisoft’s future activity this season “Assassins Creed Victory” shall likely advantage from the press usage and visibility that the film will be getting once shooting begins in the next few several weeks. “Assassin’s Creed Victory” is predicted to hit next creation activity enjoying systems towards the end of this season.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wholesale cosplay costumes: http://www.cosplaysuperdeal.com
Watson Zion
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logician David Novitz has contended that contradiction about the meaning of craftsmanship are once in a while the heart of the issue. Or maybe, the energetic concerns and interests that people vest in their social life are so much a piece of every classificatory question about craftsmanship. The supposition of new values or the resistance to acknowledged ideas of what is tastefully unrivaled need not happen simultaneously with an entire surrender of the quest for what is stylishly engaging. http://www.researchpapergurus.com/
evanmal alcolm
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: http://guidemesupplements.com/chantel-st-claire-canada/ Reply with quote

I[url=http://guidemesupplements.com/chantel-st-claire-canada/]Chantel St Claire[/url] n the same spirit as those time respected practices, the special and humane care of tiny snails provide us with the secret to stunning pores and skin. Those little creatures are the simplest ones in nature with a pores and skin this is extraordinarily much like our own human skin. They, but, have evolved to shield that skin obviously. When these creatures are raised and cared for correctly, and a cautious and precise extraction procedure is used to isolate the serum, these snails can proportion their gain with the world! http://guidemesupplements.com/chantel-st-claire-canada/

Tags
Chantel St Claire,
Chantel St Claire reviews,
Chantel St Claire review,
Chantel St Claire at gnc,
buy Chantel St Claire,
Chantel St Claire supplement,
Chantel St Claire side effects,
Chantel St Claire amazon,
Chantel St Claire where to buy,
where to buy Chantel St Claire,
Chantel St Claire price,
Chantel St Claire ingredients,
Chantel St Claire cost,
Chantel St Claire for sale,
Chantel St Claire Benefit,
Chantel St Claire Advantages,
Chantel St Claire pills,
Chantel St Claire free trial,
Chantel St Claire weight loss,
Chantel St Claire USA,
Chantel St Claire United States of America,
Chantel St Claire United States,
Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Courtauld Insights All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: