SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

Trellick Tower

Goldfinger, Ernö

Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Architecture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A&A Editor
A&A Editor
A&A Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Discuss.
Giles O'Bryen
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Why I love the Trellick Tower Reply with quote

For many years we had a flat which looked out on the Trellick Tower and without really expecting to I grew to love it. It's imperious and powerful, with its Dan Dare viewing deck and look of a rocket ship just before launch; but also delicate and touching - the way the two towers support each other, the sense that you can almost see right through it. It is surprising from every angle, especially side-on because it is so amazingly slim.

After dark, it looks like a giant circuit board, the changing pattern of lights reflecting the comings and goings of its residents: it never looks quite the same, nor entirely different, either. You get an impression of a building full of human life, expressed to the world beyond in a wonderfully graceful and tactful way.

The Tower became unloved and unkempt quite soon after it was built, but in the late eighties people woke up to the fact that the flats are not half bad to live in: all of them have a double aspect (it really is slim!), and many are spread over two floors. Now it is very much prized and flats on the upper storeys are pretty much impossible to get hold of.

Rain or shine, a beautiful, beautiful building.
Wynn Wheldon
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: trellick tower Reply with quote

how this ludicrous washboard of a building has become desirable beats me, although it is always wise to bear in mind Addison's quip to the effect that we are introduced to most of our follies by the force of fashion. having said that, it is hard to resist mr o'bryen's eloquent paean. however, I am not convinced that his passion for goldfinger's single upraised digit does not contain an element of the bourgeois-epating that he occasionally enjoys indulging himself in. and who was this 'trellick' anyway? Why does he deserve a tower (be it curse or monument)? I think we should be told. Twisted Evil
adam kean
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: trellick tower Reply with quote

A most entertaining duel between two of the foremost minds of our age, but I think the final word on this must go to the diva from Daffyd, Dame Shirley Basey: "GOOOOOOLDFINGER..HE'S THE MAN, THE MAN WITH THE MIDAS TOUCH."

(Cue Bond leaping from the fifteenth floor and activating his jetpack. Buliding explodes. The End.)
Jack Knowle
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful building, you can enjoy as in former years, they coped with these difficulties without such technology as it is now.
Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Architecture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: